Hello, Welcome back to “Skill Of The Week”
I have been a situation where, i didn’t had any pendrive and i had to transfer data from my friends system. Specially when in exams. LOL
I wish i could have known this idea earlier, but it’s okay to do something than crying. No problem, if you are computer science guy then now it’s you chance to use it.
What will you learn at the end of the article?
You will learn, How to transfer data among computers to any other system which a browser, connected in same wifi connection without using an external software.
Remember: I have considered you as a programmer and you python installed in your computer. If not then Download it right now.
If you remember me(Rana) from another post, I am a MacBook pro user. That doesn’t mean I hate windows or I do have a windows Desktop Computer and i use it for testing and tough work.
Do be crazy if i say I have a system with 3 operating systems on it, yes I told I have “three operating systems on my single desktop”.
Now, Back to the article, How to really transfer the data without any software or external hardware?
You can do it by the help of python.
I am considering you as a programmer or computer science enthusiast, if you aren’t one then also you can implement it. It’s not rocket science.
Yo, Let’s see how to implement it in brief, If you are not very technical then see the screenshots below. i am pretty sure you will have fun doing it.
- Start The terminal in you OS X(Apple laptops OS, Linux)
- Go to the file you have. Eg you want to share a book from desk top then go to book directory. Command: cd desktop/books
- Now type Command: python -m SimpleHTTPServer
- Find ip address and add “:8000 “For me, it was 192.168.0.100:8000
- Download all you want
- Start Terminal in your Mac
- You will get a similar screen like this, with a different time.
- Now type “python -m SimpleHTTPServer” , (remember the capitalization)
- You will get this screen for the permission, click “Allow”
Congratulations, you have started the simple server on your computer. Now it’s time to find the IP address and start using it. To find the IP address follow this simple steps.
- Go to System Preferences, and click network, Boom you will get the local IP address of your computer
- This is where your local IP address will be visible.There are so many ways to find the IP address, you can type command ifconfig on Mac OS X, or any Linux flavors like Ubuntu, Raspbian.
Now go to your browser type (IP address):8000,
For me which will be 192.168.0.100:8000